Answers to your questions ～The key to cost reduction～
How to make creative idea proposal stay alive and active?
Mature organizations find challenging to sustain interest.
*All proposals do not mean just improvement ideas, but improvement cases that employees have already implemented.
How does Heijunka applies to Injection line? More purging material required to start new part number.
In the example of motion reduction, the trays are reduced in order to reduce the motion of the assembly operator. But this will cause an increase of motion in order to refill the trays. In your example how you balance the reduction/increase of motion?
What does the company do with the extra manpower?
AWe deal with the extra manpower as following:
- Work in another busy workplace
- Work in new workplaces for new products
- Utilize them instead of replenishing retired employees
- Work in the improvement organization and implement improvement activities, etc.
How do you quantify the saving in term of $ from the Kaizen? Is it via manual/offline calculation or it is being capruted in the actual A/C? If it is via manual calculation who will verify the saving achieved?
AThe calculation methods of the improvement effect amount in the case example I talked in the web seminar are as follows.
- Manpower saving: Monthly salary of reduced personnel x number of months of evaluation period
- Space saving: Monthly sales amount when a new product is produced in the saved space x evaluation period
- Productivity improvement: Monthly amount of increased sales amount by productivity improvement x evaluation period
How to implement one-piece-flow when the characteristics of production is continuous process such as in pharmaceutical industry?
A“One” for the one piece flow production is not necessarily one piece, but can be one tray, one case, or one pallet. Please think about manufacturing that flows in the smallest possible unit.
It may be difficult to introduce the one piece flow production in the upstream processes in pharmaceutical industry, but I think it can be introduced in the packaging, packing, and shipping processes in the downstream processes.